Thursday, February 7, 2013

Goodwill Outlet World

A great source for materials for the upcycling artist is Goodwill Outlet World. 

If you have one in your city, I recommend it, but only if you have the time to root through all the bins.
Unlike other thrift stores which are set up like department stores, the Outlet World has row after row of table-height bins on wheels.  When the bins in one row start getting low, workers roll them off and replace them with freshly overflowing ones.
      The pay-off for all the extra effort on your part is the price.  Clothing, toys and housewares are sold by the pound on a sliding scale.  The more you buy, the cheaper the per pound rate. This is good for the recycling artist/crafter who may be looking for eye-catching patterns or types of fabric (say, wool).  It's not so good for the shopper that is looking for specific sizes and styles of clothing.  (Last winter I purchased 20 pounds of wool, cashmere, alpaca and angora sweaters for felt projects for $20!)  Other items such as books, DVDs, televisions and furniture are individually priced, but at a greatly reduced rate.  For example, I saw a decent wood coffee table for $2.99.
    When I go, I am usually trawling for inspiration and have broad categories of items to look for.  I went today with the idea to look for large hardback books for a project.  I found a four book set of massive 1958 National Geographic compilations.  Each one must weigh about five pounds!  They were $.99 each.  Then I dug around in house wares and found a pile of really expensive home decor fabric samples, A PILE!  I also located a stash of sewing notions: ribbon, lace, eye hooks, trim, etc.  I also found some bizarre items for assemblage and some coax cables that I use in my jewelry making.  I found about forty pieces of plastic canvas for needle work.  Then I discovered a bag of wooden tiles with numbers and months printed on them for some sort of calendar.  I ended up with five large books, and a garbage bag full of miscellany for only $16 including tax.  Success!  I have so many ideas for jewelry and other projects.  I can't wait to get crafting.
      Here is a link for Goodwill if you are in the Denver area:  http://www.goodwilldenver.org/ .  We have three Outlet World locations.  If you go, happy hunting, and I have one suggestion, bring rubber gloves.  


No comments:

Post a Comment