Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Concept to Completion

I'm working on a new necklace that is made from recycled clothing.  I thought I would take you through its varying stages.
Here it is in my sketch book (alright, I use a cheap spiral notebook).
Here is my design drawn in Sharpie on a salvaged scrap of burlap.
I've cut long strips or fabric and begun hooking them onto the burlap using a latch hook.  (Notice that my original sketch called for neutrals, but I have a difficult time reigning in my love of color.)  I am using t-shirts, a cotton pillow cover, a rayon shirt and the black yarn is chenille--another thrift store find.
More colors added to the palette.
I decided to add a new element, so I cut a piece of this jump rope I found and will cover it with some fabric.

Here I am a little further along.
I added another segment of jump rope and decided to end it here.  It felt like the right length.
I trimmed it and folded the edges under and basted them in place.  Tomorrow I will add a backing fabric, some embellishments, and the cord which I have a good idea for.  Tune in and see how it turns out!

When it is finished I will take some better photographs and place it for sale in my etsy shop, Green Diva Designs.







No comments:

Post a Comment